It seems to me that the analysis below further illustrates the
mushiness of the concept of "public concern," at least as it's often
used.  Consider, for instance, "God punished your son because of
America's wrongdoing."  That's a message about alleged religious truth,
about what policies the nation should enact, and implicitly about what
policies the listener should urge the nation to enact.  It strikes me as
no less of "public concern" than the message, "God will punish you if
you don't convert to Christianity," or "God will punish you if you get
an abortion."

        Likewise, there of course is a connection, according to Phelps'
ideology, between the dead soldier's conduct, the mourner's conduct, and
the protestors' message.  The protestors' message is that the death
soldier was serving a dishonorable cause, and died as God's punishment
for serving a dishonorable cause; the mourners should recognize this,
see the light and thus improve their own religious undersatnding, and
work to change the nations' policies.  I find the argument repugnant and
unpersuasive, but I don't think First Amendment doctrine can evaluate
arguments this way.

        So it seems to me the speech is pretty clearly on a matter of
public concern.  Perhaps it should be restrictable in any event, on some
Frisby-like rationale (especially if the restriction is
content-neutral).  But it seems to me that this is not because "whatever
those messages to the mourners express[] about a matter of public
concern is so limited" -- it's because the speech could be restricted
even though it expresses a substantial public-concern message.

        Eugene