-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Volokh, Eugene
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2007 12:35 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: IIED and vagueness

        It seems to me that this would make "matter of public concern"
even mushier and viewpoint-based than it already is (or perhaps it would
just illustrate the mushiness and potential for viewpoint
discrimination).  As best I can tell, the protesters are arguing that
the nation has sinned by allowing homosexuality, or allowing gays in the
military, or what have you, and the death of soldiers is God's righteous
judgment on the country.  That's their viewpoint, vile and illogical as
it is.

        I take it we'd agree that a demonstration outside a military
funeral saying "God bless American soldiers" is on a matter of a public
concern.  So, I assume, is a demonstration saying "President Bush killed
this soldier."  So, I assume, is a demonstration saying "Soldiers are
murderers, and deserve to die" (again, reprehensible as such a
demonstration would be).  The relationship between this matter and the
funeral of the soldier, who after all had been exercising government
power on behalf of our nation, seems hardly attenuated.  Phelps et al.'s
view may be irrational, but the connection between it and the funeral of
the soldier is more "attenuated" or "irrelevant" only because we don't
believe his logic.

        The 3 am calls strike me as a rather weak analogy.  The problem
there isn't that the relationship between the speech and me is
attenuated, or that the message is irrelevant.  If you called me at 3 am
each morning to tell me that my publicly expressed views in some First
Amendment debate are unsound -- assume I'm even a limited public figure
as to that debate -- that would also be punishable, even though the
speech is closely related to me and my public commentary.  It might be
punishable under a Rowan-like rationale, especially once I tell you
"stop bothering me," since restricting the speech to me doesn't at all
interfere with your conveying the message to others.  It might be
punishable under some rule that bars repeated unsolicited phone calls
during certain hours.  But the rationale here would be genuinely
unrelated to any message that I might be conveying, to its supposed
irrelevance to my participation in a matter of public concern, or the
tendency of the message (even coupled with the time, place, and manner
in which it's delivered) to offend me because of what it says.