I understand that there is a clear sense in which the protestors
comments involve speech on a matter of public concern. But the
relationship between that matter of public concern and the family whose
son has died and is being buried is pretty attenuated. If the protestors
just said "John Doe should rot in Hell," that would not be a matter of
public concern. Does adding "Because we think the U.S. is immoral, John
Doe should rot in Hell" change the statement enough to make a
difference. (By analogy, if I call Eugene up at 3:00 am each morning to
tell him to vote for Hillary Clinton, should it be harder for courts to
hold me liable for harassment because my statements are a matter of
public concern -- indeed they are pure political speech.)

I guess what I am asking is whether the impropriety and irrelevance of
the circumstance should influence our conclusion as to whether what is
being said is a matter of public concern. If these protestors show up at
the funeral of any citizen with similar signs and argue that it is good
whenever any American dies because our country does not hate gay people
enough, should that alter the analysis? Isn't there a sense that these
people are just using the emotional pain they cause and the anger
generated by their outrageous activities to gain attention for their
message?

Should speakers be allowed to use the distress caused to patients at
hospitals or mourners at funerals as a way of amplifying their largely
unrelated speech "on matters of public concern"?

Alan Brownstein