As for Eugene's models 1 and 2, and his preference for model 1, I think of two
examples I often use in teaching Hustler:  (a) suppose Falwell's mother had
been the IIED plaintiff in the Hustler case with respect to the very same
parody (unlike Falwell, not a public figure plaintiff, but presumably still a
matter of public concern) and (b) a New York case (I can't remember the name)
permitting IIED liability against radio disc jockeys for broadcasting the name
and place of employment of a young woman whose wedding picture had run in the
local newspaper and whom the disc jockeys declared the "winner" of their "ugly
bride" contest (not a public figure plaintiff, and not a matter of public
concern).  I assume Eugene would preclude liability in each case, including the
"ugly bride" case; model 2, by contrast, would permit liability in the "ugly
bride" case but not in favor of Falwell's mother.  It strikes me that model 2
is preferable; why shouldn't the alleged "ugly bride" be pe!
 rmitted recovery for the disc jockeys' outrageous (and heartless) speech at
her expense?

Dan
Daniel O. Conkle
Robert H. McKinney Professor of Law