Except that sometimes, I think the drafters do it right in the bill.  If they
are amending existing legislation that has already been numbered, and they are
inserting new sections, I think that the bill sometimes numbers those sections.
 So Section 2 of the bill may amend section 665 of the existing Act and add a
new section 666.  I'm pretty sure I've seen examples of this, although I can't
swear to it.

If the bill number is created by an Act of Congress, then I suppose it takes
another Act of Congress to change it.  Which is why you occasionally see bills
to correct typos.

Quoting "Corcos, Christine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> I think it's done by the Office of the Law Revision Counsel of the
> U.S. House of Representatives.
>

> ________________________________

Douglas Laycock
Yale Kamisar Collegiate Professor of Law
University of Michigan Law School
625 S. State St.
Ann Arbor, MI  48109-1215
  734-647-9713