In Dr. Newdow's challenges to the Pledge of Allegiance (codified at 4 U.S.C.
Section 4) he has sued both the United States Congress and the Law Revision
Counsel, and has sought an order that the Law Revision Counsel strike the words
"under God" from that Section.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, August 01, 2008 3:45 PM
To: religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu
Subject: Re: Religious freedom and 42 USC 666

Yes, I think what Prof. Laycock says is also true.  And it's probably true that
if congressional action were needed, a change from 666 to 665a could be
included in a long list of technical corrections attached to some omnibus bill,
and no Member would even notice it.  But I'm not sure a court could order
Congress to do that, while a court could (at least more likely could) order the
Office of the Law Revision Counsel to make such a change.  But I suppose I'm
straying from religion and the law.

Art Spitzer