I'm not even sure the necessary change would require an Act of Congress.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a statute's codification
in the US Code is generally a part of the bill enacted by Congress. If you
look at the Statutes at Large, you'll see the future codification in the
margin,
not in the text.   I think codification is just an administrative function.

And I assume it would be sufficient for the father here if 42 USC § 666 were
changed to 42 USC § 665a, so it wouldn't even have to be moved to a different
position in the books.

Art Spitzer
ACLU
Washington DC