Actually, it didn't. It began with an inquiry into what level of insult (in
the broadest sense) to a child should be prosecuted as child abuse
regardless of the justification based on religious or even secular concepts
of parental discipline. I was attempting to draw a distinction between
serious harm and minor bruises--my example was a black-and-blue bum, which
of course would normally heal quickly. That *is* spanking. My suggestion is
that the harm to the child be proven as a matter of fact, rather than
presumed as a matter of law, in order to avoid defects in the legal adoption
of theories that should not be graven in stone.

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 9:21 PM, Paul Finkelman <paul.finkel...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> Art:
>
> This discussion began with a defense of "bruising" children. That is hardly
> spanking.  I think if you look at those beyond death row -- simply violent
> criminals - you will find abuse in almost every circumstance.
>
> ----
> Paul Finkelman
> President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law
> Albany Law School
> 80 New Scotland Avenue
> Albany, NY 12208
>
> 518-445-3386 (p)