Well, not to minimize child abuse, but speaking from experience, my parents believed in spanking and I seem to have turned out okay. Actually, I do not recall any specific times of having been spanked; however, I DO remember having my mouth washed out with soap for having bitten my sister. Which seemed to me at the time (and still does) to be a much worse punishment. :-)

Lisa

Volokh, Eugene wrote:
It also seems noteworthy to me that one of the arguments on the list for having any bruise-inflicting corporal punishment of children be criminal was equally applicable to minor spanking as well. The argument was, “I have to wonder if there is anyone on this list who would not consider it a battery (or assault depending on what your state calls what used to be common law battery) if someone deliberately hit them to the point of bruising them. Sounds like a tort or a crime to me, and I find it hard to imagine how a claim of religious belief would justify it. I suppose adults could consent to such interpersonal behavior. but since children cannot legally consent to such harms, I have to wonder how Vance can justify such abuse.” But I take it that everyone on the list would consider it a battery if someone spanked them even without bruising them, no?

So when the logic of the arguments suggests the illegality of /all/ corporal punishment, it seems reasonable for people who support some corporal punishment to think that the other side’s position would go beyond just prohibiting bruising.
--
Lisa A. Runquist
Runquist & Associates

IRS Circular 230 Notice

To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used by any taxpayer, for the purpose of avoiding U.S. tax penalties.

This message and any attachments may be protected by the attorney/client privilege. If you believe that it has been sent to you in error, do not read, copy or distribute it. Please reply to the sender that you have received the message in error and then delete it. Thank you.

NOTE: Emails are not a secure method of communication. If you do not wish to obtain future communications from me via email, please advise me immediately.