Earlier posts raised the issue of male circumcision. I've thought for a long
time that one fruitful approach to giving substantive content to "free
exercise" of religion would be to look at practices that were considered at the
Founding (or maybe in 1868) to be core religious practices (perhaps with a
focus on worship and ceremony) and that were at that time tolerated. Of course
then the protection of such practices would have to be granted in some way by
analogy to new practices of new religions (or of religions new to the US
because not present in the US at the relevant historical time or not widely
known of at the relevant historical time), so as not to discriminate against
new religions. Some kind of mid-level scrutiny then could be applied. Such an
approach would protect use of sacramental wine (a mildly intoxicating
substance) as it was used in Christian and Jewish ceremonies, and it would
protect use of other mildly intoxicating substances as they might be similarly
used by new religions. I suppose the use of hoasca tea by the UDV and the use
of small amounts of peyote in native American religion probably would be
protected by such an approach. Beating of children for religious reasons in
such a manner as to cause serious psychological harm or bruising would either
not be seen as a core religious practice or perhaps as not tolerated at the
relevant time (though I'm not sanguine about how historical research would come
out on that issue) or would fail under intermediate scrutiny because of the
governmental interest in protecting children.

Male circumcision would seem to be protected by such an approach. Yes, it can
cause difficulties for boys, but it may also have some benefits (including some
protection against infection and in most cases the psychological benefit of the
boy's penis looking the same as his father's), and its harms are relatively
small as compared to the core place it holds in Judaism.

If one wishes to take a broader historical approach, I think Americans, either
in 1791 or in 1868, would have seen a ban on circumcision as an attempt to
banish Jews from America or to destroy Judaism. But I have not done historical
research on the point, and others may know more about the attitudes of
Americans towards circumcision at those times.

Mark Scarberry
Pepperdine