To some degree the argument is circular. As between unconsenting adults, it
is certainly black-letter common law that any touching is a battery and any
credible threat of it is an assault. However, under various guises, the law
has also traditionally recognized some kind of privilege as between parent
and child. The discussion here can be read to be about the scope of the
privilege. Since most child-abuse cases will arise under state law, a
common-law privilege might be relevant, and inasmuch as any claim for
religious exemption would fall either under pre-Smith state religious
freedom doctrine or a state RFRA, in states where these apply, centrality
(responding here in part to Mark Scarberry) ought not to be an issue.
As a fan of common-law approaches to religious freedom issues, you might
find this line of reasoning attractive.

Vance R. Koven
Boston, MA USA
vrko...@world.std.com