From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Ira (Chip) Lupu
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2010 4:41 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Factual Clarification re CLS

This concern about associations getting taken over by hostile forces is
completely ungrounded -- it never happens, and for an obvious reason.
These kinds of fora are cooperation games -- no group is ever a majority
(even the Democratic law students at a liberal law school have a
relatively small number of active members), and every group is
vulnerable to takeover.  But takeover would invite tit-for-tat
counter-takeover.  CLS members could intrude on the GLBT group, and vice
versa.  Everyone knows this, so all of the incentives are lined up in
ways that make this extremely unlikely to occur.  (Yes, if the KKK had a
campus group, enraged others might try to "invade and destroy" the
association, but that example is sui generis, just like the Bob Jones
case.)

If CLS had not litigated this, and had filed by-laws with Hastings LS
that said CLS was open to all comers, there is no reason to expect that
those who reject orthodox Christianity would try to join.  Someone just
has to show forbearance -- either the school by allowing discrimination
based on beliefs (which could be a pretext for other kinds of
discrimination), or the groups by being open to "all comers" (confident
that the process of selecting and joining would bring them no hostile
members).   In a law school, there is certainly a rational basis for
coming down on the side of non-exclusivity as a condition of access to
the forum and its privileges  -- among other things, all-comers
increases the likelihood of dynamic exchange of views, something a law
school may legitimately value.  CLS is not a church, and neither is
Outlaw, and yet (if Hastings prevails) both will wind up with (only) the
members sympathetic to their respective purposes.

Ira C. Lupu
F. Elwood & Eleanor Davis Professor of Law George Washington University
Law School 2000 H St., NW Washington, DC 20052
(202)994-7053
My SSRN papers are here:
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=181272#reg