I was at the oral argument in CLS v. Hastings.  I think Marci's interpretation
of Breyer's questions and comments is quite right.  We'll know soon enough, but
(from his questions, tone, and facial expression -- the latter two don't come
through in a transcript -- at argument) I will be very surprised if Breyer
joins an opinion that says an "all-comers" policy in this context is
unconstitutional.

If social liberals join a conservative Christian group, and succeed in changing
the message, conservative Christians can leave and form a new, conservative
Christian group.  Do list members think the socially liberal Christians will
just keep hunting down and infiltrating such groups?  This seems  fantastical
(and slightly paranoid) to me.  I'm still waiting for real-life, on-campus
examples of such behavior.

To Art Spitzer's question -- I don't know how you can say the purpose of an
"all-comers" policy is "fully served" by allowing dissenters to attend
meetings, but not vote or hold office.  This is a matter of degree -- the more
that dissenters can exercise political influence in the group, the more the
interchange within the group may be open, dynamic, and non-dogmatic.  Those may
not be purposes that religious congregations may prefer, but the law school can
have its own, independent purposes for insisting on access to full membership
for all comers.  (Whether anyone at Hastings LS really thought all of this
through is another question, but CLS did stipulate that "all comers" is among
the relevant policies.)

Ira C. Lupu
F. Elwood & Eleanor Davis Professor of Law
George Washington University Law School
2000 H St., NW
Washington, DC 20052
(202)994-7053