Douglas Laycock is certainly correct that CLS' statement of belief also calls
for heterosexual students to refrain from sex outside of marriage, but I am not
sure that does much work in resolving the tension between the desire to
prohibit discrimination based on a status that is tied to at least a desire to
engage in certain forms of behavior and the assertion of an associational right
that excludes anyone who acts on that status. Nor does it change the fact that
CLS most certainly - and quite explicity - draws a distinction between sexual
orientation and acting on that orientation.

engaged in sexual activity within a same sex marriage or civil union. Its
policy is not simply about sex outside of a marriage without regard to sexual
orientation. CLS would exclude sexually active homosexuals even if, for
example, Prop 8 was declared unconstitutional or improperly enacted, and those
couples were married. CLS' statement of belief calls for members to refrain
from "all acts of sexual conduct outside of God’s design for marriage between
one man and one woman, which acts include fornication, adultery, and homosexual
conduct.”  So, at the same time that it insists on sex within marriage, it
makes clear that marriage may not be between persons of the same sex.

CLS certainly believes that its policy creates a "distinction between sexual
orientation and sexual conduct" - although I agree that it is not simply that.
In its letter to its Hastings requesting recognition, CLS quite forthrightly
said that a "person who engages in homosexual conduct or adheres to the
viewpoint that homosexual conduct is not a sin" cannot be a chapter officer or
member. It also said that a person "who has homosexual inclinations ut does not
engage in or affirm homosexual conduct" can be an officer or member.

Now, I don't think its entirely unfair to say that this has a disparate impact
on gays and lesbians (and, if it is unfair, it is certainly not because there
are many more heterosexuals than homosexuals.) The policy excludes all sexually
active homosexuals but only those sexually active heterosexuals who have sex
outside of marriage.

But I don't see the notion of disparate impact as helpful at all. The question,
rather, is whether CLS' rights of association entitle it to make that
distinction or, in the particular context of public fora analysis, whether
Hastings decision to condition recognition of the group as a student
organization is viewpoint neutral.

My own view is that CLS - certainly outside the public forum context but, I
would argue, within it as well - should be permitted to exclude those who do
not share its views. Pushed to its logical conclusion, this may result in hard
cases in which the question becomes whether these associational rights can be
pushed to permit the exclusion not only of those persons who wish to act on a
status but who adhere to views about that status on which otherwise applicable
antidiscrimination law is based.

Rick

Professor Rick Esenberg
Marquette University Law School