On 5/10/2010 3:14 PM, Ira (Chip) Lupu wrote:
If social liberals join a conservative Christian group, and succeed in changing
the message, conservative Christians can leave and form a new, conservative
Christian group.
You do recognize, don't you, that the Christian Legal Society is a national religious organization of attorneys and law students? I do think that CLS has a right to maintain control over its membership and its name. To suggest that it is appropriate to allow a student chapter to be taken over by people who have different beliefs, and then require the original group to form a new entity (which would also then have to have a new name) seems at least as fantastical as anything else you suggest. If someone wants a group for these new beliefs, that seems to be more appropriate to require them to start the new group.
To Art Spitzer's question -- I don't know how you can say the purpose of an "all-comers"
policy is "fully served" by allowing dissenters to attend meetings, but not vote or hold
office.  This is a matter of degree -- the more that dissenters can exercise political influence in
the group, the more the interchange within the group may be open, dynamic, and non-dogmatic.
Political influence? Firmly held religious beliefs are generally not established by who gets the most votes. And why do you want to insist that any student group be "non-dogmatic?" Is this another term for "politically correct?"
Those may not be purposes that religious congregations may prefer, but the law
school can have its own, independent purposes for insisting on access to full
membership for all comers.
And what might these be? It seems that this policy will ultimately backfire. What is to be gained by requiring a Latino student group to change its documents to allow whites to become voting members? Why should the gay, lesbian, transgender group have to allow individuals who do not believe in their lifestyle to be members of their organization?
   (Whether anyone at Hastings LS really thought all of this through is another question,
but CLS did stipulate that "all comers" is among the relevant policies.)

Ira C. Lupu
F. Elwood&  Eleanor Davis Professor of Law
George Washington University Law School
2000 H St., NW
Washington, DC 20052
(202)994-7053