I appreciate the analysis, Mark. But don't agree that every religion gets to
decide where to draw the line on responsibility for remote effects of its
actions any more than I get to draw the line on proximate cause because I view
it differently from Anderson and Cardozo.  I don't have to agree that there is
a difference between my knowing that my taxes will be spent on something and my
being required to act to provide benefits to someone to do something.  The
"agreement" is the same in both cases--required to do something with which one
disagrees.  The employer buying insurance is no more agreeing to the terms of
the insurance contract than to medicare funding abortion with taxes.  It is
imposed in the same way.  Or can so be seen by the government without a right
of an employer to avoid its civic responsibilities as a participant in society.
 Free exercise does not mean license to drop out, to not conform to civil law.

The analogous claim to exemption from providing health insurance by a religion
is that of a religion claiming a right to conduct human sacrifices -- or where
is the principled difference?  Both are prohibited from doing something that
they believe in.  In both cases the civil society has decreed that such action
(not providing health benefits; not killing people) is out of bounds.  Just as
this analogy has its weaknesses, so does the chain created by Mark.  Both can
be distinguished (as Mark points out in his post).  But the distinction is just
as convincing or not convincing -- depending on the views of the listener of
what the proper scope of the right to be a unit veto on government policy is.

Some employers don't like unions and think it is against their religion to
bargain collectively.  Some employers think it is their right to use resources
in wasteful ways that damage the environment.  Some employers think that
working conditions with respect to safety are improper intrusions.  Some
employers think they should be able to discriminate on the basis of race.  Some
employers think they should be able to discriminate on the basis of gender.
Some think they should be able to discriminate on the basis of religion.

And some of those employers who think those ways cloak their beliefs in
religion.  Should those with the religious cloak get treated like it is a
Potterish cloak of invisibility through which civil society is not allowed to
see while others must be exposed to full scrutiny and the full force of civil
regulation?  In most instances, no.  Employers are bound by the same rules
whether religious or not, unless there is really a substantial burden.  No one
is making the employer get an abortion (or the employer's decision makers,
assuming it is a corporation).  Or do we push the idea that a corporation is a
person so far as to make no distinctions at all, even though a corporation
cannot really have an abortion?

We make exceptions for religious entities, quite properly, even corporate
religious entities.  But requiring them to provide health benefits is too
remote on the causation trail to be a substantial burden.  Indeed, the whole
argument of being forced to facilitate something as a violation of religion is
problematic and should be used with great care.  It has no logical or clear
ending point.

Finally, yes, Mark, I think the employer could indeed be required to pay the
clinic directly without it being a substantial burden.  Reverse your argument
and the point becomes clear.  The employer is not doing the act, is not
agreeing to do the act, and is doing nothing but funding something the law
requires the employer to fund.  And paying money for something is not the moral
equivalent of doing the thing, especially when that thing you are paying money
for is something you are required to do from the outside.  If I willingly hire
a doctor to pay for an abortion for another, I am indeed not able to wash my
hands of responsibility for the action.  Indeed, it is my willingness that made
the action possible (let's say).  But if I am required to do so, then my
responsibility is far more attenuated.  If I believe in that thing strongly
enough, then I should not be in business.  And it is OK for society to decide
where to draw the line.

Steve

--
Prof. Steven D. Jamar                     vox:  202-806-8017
Associate Director, Institute for Intellectual Property and Social Justice

"If we are to receive full service from government, the universities must give
us trained [people].  That means a constant reorientation of university
instruction and research not for the mere purpose of increasing technical
proficiency but for the purpose of keeping abreast with social and economic
change. . . .  Government is no better than its [people]."

William O. Douglas