Steve -- I agree with what you've said. I would point out that you used the term
"burden," not "substantial burden." My point is that I the contraceptive mandate
burden's an employer's free exercise if they are opposed to the mandate for
religious reasons -- but, importantly, they are not substantially burdened in my
view (as I believe Judge Jackson correctly analyzed the burden). The religious
burden is de minimis and remote. And there is no economic burden as the mandated
coverage is, in the aggregate, is a cost saver.

In addition, I believe a fair analogy would be to the Lemon test's excessive
entanglement prong. Mere "entanglement" doesn't constitute an Establishment
Clause violation just as a mere "burden" doesn't establish a Free Exercise
Clause violation here.

Bob Ritter

Jefferson Madison Center for Religious Liberty
A Project of the Law Office of Robert V. Ritter
Falls Church, VA
703-533-0236