With all due respect to this entire thread, how many people have actually read
the state cases involving the priest-penitent privilege?  There is a level of
abstraction
to this discussion that indicates to me probably not.  As someone who has
actively been involved in arguing the issue in court in the last year, I'd
suggest that the law is
more reticulated and specific. state-by-state, than the speculation going on
here.  It is state law, which means 50 states plus DC law, and it is a
privilege that is not constitutionally required,
particularly when the issue is whether the religious confessor or confessee
engaged in illegal behavior.

Marci A. Hamilton
Paul R. Verkuil Chair in Public Law
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law