I will confess to not having read the state cases, or at least not most of
them.  But isn't the question *whether* the privilege is constitutionally
required?  (Perhaps the fact that it is referred to as a privilege muddies
the waters.)  If free exercise of religion includes receiving a sacrament,
then why is compelling violation of the privilege not a constitutional
issue?  Indeed, I wonder why a recent discussion suggested stronger free
speech claims than free exercise claims; does the First Amendment make that
distinction?  I have no doubt courts have read it that way, but that's
partly why we get distortions of free exercise claims masquerading as free
speech claims.

Richard Dougherty
University of Dallas