I much appreciate Marci's comments.  From the point of view of the free
exercise of religion, the question for the believer, in my view, is what
the effect of the revelation of confidential information is on the soul of
the penitent, not what the legal consequences might be.  Obviously the
state has other concerns, but they need not clash, except at the margins
(though that's what really counts).  I agree that the fall-out of the abuse
crisis in the Catholic Church has seen some try to claim privilege where no
legitimate claim of privilege seems to be at stake.  The dangers of doing
so are multiple -- most importantly, more people are put at risk of future
abuse, but it also undermines legitimate claims of privilege, as those
entrusted with making judgments about its legitimacy find it harder to
distinguish the genuine from the spurious.  I'm not convinced that
discussions in diocesan chanceries about how to avoid losses in court are
part of the free exercise of religion.

The abuse crisis in contemporary America (not, of course, confined to the
Catholic Church) is painful for what it has done to so many who have
suffered, and it has been devastating for the Church.  Almost all of what I
have seen has nothing to do with Confession or free exercise of religion,
though, and here I support Marci's strong view of holding responsible those
who have enabled abusers; while this would likely prevent subsequent abuse
-- the most important consequence -- it would have the side effect of
calling Catholics to abide by their own beliefs.

Richard Dougherty
University of Dallas