With regard to Jim's post (and Chip and Bob's piece), I appreciate the argument
that in employment cases RFRA should be interpreted the same way that Title VII
has been interpreted  --- essentially denying all RFRA claims that would impose
more than  de minimis costs on third parties or the public. But I have several
questions about it.

First, if we accept Chip and Bob's argument that accommodating Hobby Lobby
would impose significant and serious costs on third parties, resolving this
case against Hobby Lobby doesn't require an interpretation of RFRA that is as
limiting as the one that they propose.  Aren't there harms that are more than
de minimis, yet not sufficiently costly to justify the substantial burdening of
religious liberty?

Second, exactly why should the scope of RFRA be so drastically constrained in
employment cases? What  distinguishes these kinds of cases from other
accommodation cases - many of which will also impose some costs on third
parties, the state, or the general public?

Third, many commentators have argued that the cost of accommodating Hobby Lobby
should be construed to be the cost of the government setting up an alternative
insurance framework for providing contraceptive coverage for the employees of
religiously exempt employers. The literal cost of doing so may not be very
high. There are ways of conditioning the granting of any accommodation to
offset whatever those costs may be to a considerable extent. Providing
insurance coverage would not require administratively complex, individualized
interventions by the government. And, for many of us, the government providing
health care coverage is the most desirable and efficient way of extending
health insurance coverage in our society in the first place. The use of
employers as a conduit for providing coverage provides few if any advantages in
comparison to a government insurance program. So if we are focusing on the cost
of accommodating Hobby Lobby, why isn't this the cost we should be evaluating.

Typically in other rights contexts, we focus on the cost of mitigation, not the
potential harm of unmitigated consequences. Thus, if an unpopular speaker wants
to speak in a location where his message is likely to poorly received, the
government cannot silence the speaker on the grounds that allowing him to speak
would cause disorder and damage to property or persons. Instead, the harm would
be the cost of hiring sufficient police and public safety personnel to maintain
order at the event. Typically, except in the most egregious cases, the
government does not have a compelling state interest in avoiding those
financial costs of mitigation.

Alan

On a different note, I want to second Marty's recommendation of the symposium
over at SCOTUS Blog. Specifically, I highly recommend folks take a look at Chip
and Bob's piece, which makes an important argument calling for symmetry between
the treatment of employee accommodations under Title VII and employer
accommodations under RFRA (in both cases this avoids establishment concerns
raised by exemptions that impose more than de minimis burdens on others). Chip
and Bob's piece is available here:
http://www.scotusblog.com/2014/02/symposium-religious-questions-and-saving-constructions/

- Jim