List members who have not had the chance to read Tom and Doug’s brief in
Windsor/Perry should do so. It is a powerful statement in support of same-sex
couples right to marry while urging some accommodation of religious objectors
who consider same-sex marriage to be unacceptable for religious reasons.  One
need not agree with the specific accommodations Tom and Doug endorse (and I
don’t ) to recognize that they see great value in people being able to live
their lives authentically and with integrity.

Reading some of the posts in this thread, I am not sure that for some list
members, there is any empathy for, or commitment to, religious people being
able to be true to their identity, faith and conscience. Am I correct that some
list members are arguing that religious identity, faith and conscience should
be assigned no weight in balancing religious accommodations against majority
preferences or the costs accommodations may impose on others. Are religious
liberty and freedom of conscience political goods we will only support if they
are entirely without cost?

Let me be more specific. Not that long ago, some people in San Francisco
considered placing on the ballot an initiative that would ban male circumcision
in the City. The initiative did not appear on the ballot. If, however, the
state of California passed such a prohibition, would it be insidious or beyond
the pale to consider exempting observant Jews (and Moslems) from this
requirement? The alternatives to accommodation are apparent. We can demand
under threat of sanction that observant Jews adjust to this prohibition by
rejecting a command from G-d that Jews have obeyed for 4000 years. Or observant
Jewish families planning on having children can go elsewhere and move on to
some other state.

Shouldn’t accommodation at least be worth considering in this circumstance? And
if we assign some weight to religious beliefs in this case, shouldn’t we at
least acknowledge the burden other laws impose on people whose beliefs conflict
with government mandates? Or are people really arguing that religious identity,
faith, and conscience should count for nothing in the face of a law that
burdens religious exercise?

Alan