I recently wondered the same thing about a Phelps Dodge six cavity duplexer
here. I found that all six cables including the two to the tee connector
were the same length: 8-3/4 inches tip to tip on PL-259 connectors.
(<http://repeater.w4zt.com/duplexer/>)

The problem here was noise, lots of it, and anytime one of those cables was
moved even slightly the noise became much worse.  These original cables
were made from PDC's own house branded RG-8 cable and supplied pre-tuned on
146.625 MHz.  I decided to replace the cables and assumed the same thing
that Eric pointed out below, whatever length works, and the base assumption
"minimum length to fit" worked for me.

I replaced the house branded RG-8 with jumpers I made from Andrews FSJ1-50A
1/4" Superflex Heliax. I realized the VF was greater but shorter cables
wouldn't reach so I made them the same as original.  Details of my
superflex to PL-259 connector project are here:
<http://repeater.w4zt.com/duplexer/superflex/>.

After completing the superflex mod I also welded up a bracket to hard mount
the tee connector. I reassembled the harness and checked the duplexer. It
was back to spec and NO NOISE!  Move them, bang them, shove them, no
effect. Problem solved!

In this case, the difference in cable length made no measurable difference
in performance but the move to the 100% shielding of the superflex heliax
made a huge difference.

If you're making cables, I would highly suggest you consider making them
from the superflex heliax so you can completely eliminate the leakage and
noise problems from your duplexer.

73, Tony W4ZT