You might try placing a relatively high value (10dB) attenuator in
series with the receiver and note any difference in the problem.
You can also try a high powered attenuator in various locations
(tx/rx and duplex paths) to note differences.

Some informal relative thoughts...
If the grunge/noise changes about 10dB you might figure the problem
to be half duplex in that direction. If it changes 20dB the issue
might be bi-directional at that location. Sometimes it might even
go away when you modify the gremlin source path enough...

Pads are a relatively easy and cheap test device, which sometimes
with a bit of thinking can point you in a direction.

Are you using a circulator/isolator? ... preamplifier? How much
tx power?  Does the problem happen at reduced power? Does red wine
go with fish?

cheers,
s.