On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 4:55 AM, Nuno Fernandes <npf-mli...@eurotux.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a server with centos5 installed and 2.6.18-308.4.1.el5xen kernel with
> the following modules ...
> The important part is the mptsas module that is being used because of the
> local disc of the server ...
> I've then upgraded to a more recent kernel (rebuild from source from
> http://au1.mirror.crc.id.au/repo/SRPMS/). The kernel is
> kernel-xen-2.6.32.57-2.

There is no guarantee that a more recent, unsupported kernel like
2.6.32 will work on an userspace built around 2.6.18, especially if
you are making use of the Xen Hypervisor and other components.

There can be some "breakable" modules when you're running 2.6.32, 3.0,
etc... on the EL5/2.6.18 kABI  ;)

> The kernel boots fine and initrd kicks in. It loads mptsas module and
> detects the local harddrive but no partition appears on /proc/partitions.
> Because of that it can't mount root partition and panics. Does anyone know
> any issue with mptsas or a way to debug the problem?

How did you verify the mpt* stack actually loads if it kernel panics?
Did you see it scroll past?

Did you try booting the old kernel, and breaking out the initrd (e.g.,
"gzip -cd initrd.img | cpio -imdv") ?  It probably wouldn't hurt to do
some comparison of the init and modules between your working 2.6.18
and the "problematic" 2.6.32.

--
Bryan J Smith - Professional, Technical Annoyance