Nuno Fernandes <npf-mli...@eurotux.com> wrote:
> Yes.. that coud happen.

Maybe I should step back ...
What are your _requirements_?  I.e., what is driving you to do this?

What is preventing you from going with an actual, full EL6 platform
(with the Red Hat 2.6.32 kABI) instead of attempting to mix'n match on
an EL5 platform (with the Red Hat 2.6.18 kABI)?

> I've upgraded some packages also (mkinitrd and udev) and they can be the
> origin
> of the problem. I'm still on the process of figuring why.

And where did you get them from?  Is this mix'n match documented somewhere?

> To find the problem i've changed the initrd of 2.6.32 to include bash and a
> few other tools (mknod, dmesg, ls, cat etc). Because i don't have ssh to it
> you can find the images on:
> http://troll.ws/image/b4003dd8
> http://troll.ws/image/201f0253

I'd look, but I have a much greater concern now.

I.e., even if you get it to boot, what sort of "unit" tested non-EL5
kABI do we now have?
That's before we even visit the EL5 "integration" and "regression"
testing variables.
And what happens when you attempt further EL5 platform updates?

> The images are from 2.6.39uek kernel (i was trying with that kernel because
> Oracle creates packages for el5 and to see if a newer kernel worked).

Wait.  Now hold on ...
You're trying to use a 2.6.39uek kernel? toolset?  With a 2.6.32 kernel?
(even before we consider this is still EL5, an 2.6.18 kABI designed platform)
And with which package replacements from where?  And is this
documented anywhere?

Now I cannot answer about the compatibility issues with community
and/or community releases downstream from Red Hat Enterprise Linux
that mix'n match what they want, and are not even built to be 1:1
ABI/API compatible.  I.e., the last time I checked, Oracle does not
publicly release the binary Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel (UEK) or any
support packages that differ, but only their claimed "Red Hat
compatible" kernels and support packages (that they claim to be 1:1
ABI/API compatible).

Which is why I need a full accounting of where you are getting
everything and from what, what versions, etc...  Otherwise I'm
shooting completely in-the-dark.

> What can i do to debug this?

You could start by giving _detailed_ answers on:
 A) Your actual requirements (what is driving this), and
 B) Where you are getting _everything_ (not just kernel, but mkinitrd,
udev, etc... replacements)

I have absolutely no benchmark to start from with this level of
information (total lackthereof).  I cannot even advise if they are
remotely compatible.

--
Bryan J Smith - Professional, Technical Annoyance
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith