On Armel's point on using the internet.

The big microscopy centres seem to be going big time for
TelePresence/Collaboratories where collaborators and users
can routinely use the internet rather than expensively hopping
on and off planes to interactively make use of the eqiupmen:
   http://tpm.amc.anl.gov
   http://www-ncmir.ucsd.edu/CMDA/
   http://www.uq.edu.au/nanoworld/online.html

Also, high reliability automatic sample changers are routine in
laboratory XRD systems and are great time savers for both
users and equipment staff.
An example with a Philips X'PERT system using a 42 sample PW1775
sample changer: a user was able to load 42 samples for long
Rietveld data collections and go on two weeks holiday leave while
the data collected.  (Though I did check the XRD each day on
their behalf).  Though what synchrotron/neutron facilities
have such an option  (getting up at ~2am to change a sample
over is not that much fun)?
(From memory, there was a rotary sample changer on Bob von
Dreele's neutron powder diffractometer?)

Lachlan.

--
Lachlan M. D. Cranswick

Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
    for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington, WA4 4AD U.K
Tel: +44-1925-603703  Fax: +44-1925-603124
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Ext: 3703  Room C14
NEW CCP14 Web Domain (Under heavy construction):
                           http://www.ccp14.ac.uk