I'd have to disagree on this point - troublemaker I suppose! I've followed the work by Langford and Louer closely, and have successfully applied their techniques

I do not understand on what point exactly you disagree. The cited paper about size effect in nickel hydroxyde is co-authored by D. Louer, and may still seem kosher to him ;-). The full reference is :

A. Le Bail and D. Louër. J. Appl. Cryst. (1978). 11, 50-55
[doi:10.1107/S0021889878012662]
Title: Smoothing and validity of crystallite-size distributions from X-ray line-profile analysis
Abstract: A smoothing procedure is described which eliminates spurious details on crystallite-size distribution functions deduced from X-ray line profiles. It is based on a least-squares process with a stabilization scheme and is applied to composite specimens prepared by mixing known quantities of samples of nickel hydroxide, whose crystallite size-distribution functions were previously determined. Calculated and observed distributions and average sizes are compared. The results are reasonably good and show the self-consistency of the method.

Best regards,

Armel