> Permission problems.
>
>   Can you umount the NAS and get a look at what the permissions
>   were on the old full directory ?
>   ( or, if a separate device, mount that device someplace and
>   do an ls al )
I'll try that monday morning.

> OK, if I understand you correctly, the server via eth0 mounts the
>   NAS from 192.168.x.x
>   Then, the server exports /var/snd via eth1 on 192.168.y.y and the
>   workstations mount /var/snd from 192.168.y.y

Pretty much, the NAS is mounted 192.168.x.x on eth1,
and the export (and all other network traffic) is on 10.100.y.y

> You could reduce the latency by re-configuring the NAS to export
>   the file system directly on 192.168.y.y and eliminate your server
>   from the man-in-the-middle caching, but you'd also need to
>   reconfigure each workstation to mount from that NAS.
>   That pretty much depends on the work load and power of
>   the machine acting as server.
The server also has the soundcard that is playing out. this was
originally done to have the audio and playout on the same machine, even
though the airplay app is actually on its own machine. I could move the
soundcard to the airplay machine if we are going to keep this config,
but really it shouldn't make a difference anyway should it? the
production machine does have it's own soundcard. by the way, airplay has
continued just fine since the transition, but we still can't import or
VT from the production room because of this permissions problem. I will
investigate further Monday morning.

Thanks all,
NS

Nathaniel C. Steele
Assistant Chief Engineer/Technical Director
WTRM-FM / TheCrossFM