On Wednesday 23 November 2011 04:14:43 pm Nathan Steele wrote:
> oh, and I didn't use the -a flag, because I'm a noob that doesn't know
> what i'm doing.....I can check the ownership and permissions somehow
> after the copy is complete and fix it if it's wrong though, right?

 Which I corrected in the addendum.

 Yes, you can, but you'd better do it right.
 I once did a recursive ownership change, because it was
 faster/easier than doing the hundred or so files one by one,
 and that file named .. got me.
 Changed the whole system recursively, which prevented the
 box from running due to wrong ownership/permissions.

 Can we say "DOH !!"

--
Cowboy

http://cowboy.cwf1.com

Ed Sullivan will be around as long as someone else has talent.
                -- Fred Allen