Dominik Riebeling wrote:
> On 5/10/07, Martin Arver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Do you think we should use this approach for all features not
>> supported by a certain target? Like sw/hw-codec stuff, color display
>

> hmm, I think that would make the manual somewhat torn, which isn't
> good either. Maybe just ignore my concerns on varying chapter numbers
> -- we could try to only use chapter / section names when writing
> support mails / forum posts etc., and if we get real trouble because
> of that we could look for a better way to do it later.

I agree that having manuals that look like they're written for the
target in question (i.e. no blank sections/chapters) is better than
having consistent chapter numbers but messy blank chapters.

But is it really a problem?  Looking at the current manuals, all the
important (and generic) chapters (Getting Started, Installation,
Browsing and Playing) are at the start of the manual, meaning they have
the same chapter number for all targets.

> But another idea: there is somewhat regularly confusion about plugins
> vs. viewer plugins. How about moving all viewers out of the plugins
> chapter and putting them into a separate "Viewers" chapter? This
> should make it much more cleaner that those plugins work differently,
> for the wiki we could do the same with a ViewerIndex page and link
> between that and PluginIndex.

I agree we need to try and stop that confusion.  You can't blame people
for expecting the "mpegplayer plugin" to appear in Browse Plugins...

Your suggested solution gets my vote.

But don't forget that some plugins (Text Editor, Rockpaint and Sudoku -
those listed as rocks/pluginname in viewers.config) are both a plugin
and a viewer.

Dave.