The National Provider ID (NPI) registrar will certainly not be assigning
IDs to providers based on "contract" number, so it's clear that payers
will already have to be working on separating the notion of contract
from that of provider ID in their HIPAA remediation efforts.  So whether
payers used the NPI, D-U-N-S, DUNS+4, HIN, or Federal Tax ID to identify
providers, assignment of these IDs will necessarily be based on licensed
entity, individual, location or role - but never on the contract with
the particular payer.

Nonetheless, even though we're sometimes forced to discuss the general
notion of IDs as used in the application transaction sets, our primary
problem to solve is getting some consistent way of identifying providers
as EDI participants - and getting everyone (including payers) to use
that same ID for looking up providers' EDI addresses (inter alia) in the
Healthcare registry.  It will be a great step forward if our small group
gets all players singing from the same hymnal as far as ISA
identification goes;  it would be icing on the cake, indeed, if interim
application solutions to the lack of an NPI came out of our group, too!

It sounds like we're coming to some sort of agreement that not only
providers, but payers, too, find it cumbersome to deal with proprietary
payer-assigned IDs as EDI Identifiers on the ISA.  Are we getting closer
to being able to make some definitive statement whereby we recommend
that all providers' (or their agents') EDI portals be identified by
DUNS, DUNS+4, HIN or Tax ID (the only current relevant choices in the
Interchange ID Qualifier)?

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
+1 (614) 487-0320