At the front of my mind always is the mess we have now with
payer-assigned provider IDs.  This is probably why I slipped and said
"[our] primary problem to solve is getting some consistent way of
identifying *providers* as EDI participants.."  Indeed, we want
consistent ways to identify all participants, including payers,
Clearinghouses, Third Party Administrators, Re-pricers *and* Providers.
It should be clear from all my monologue over the last two or so months
that I understand we have to identify all players in order to access
CPPs in a Registry and address parties in the ISA.

But as it is, there doesn't seem to be much argument over how payers are
identified:  the NAIC seems to be relatively well standardized upon, and
for our purposes it's a perfect identifier.   You don't see providers
assigning proprietary provider-assigned payer IDs - instead we have a
common sensible and standard means of identifying payers (e.g., the NAIC
company code).

The big problem to solve, as I have oft-repeated, is to level the
playing field and have the payers extend the same courtesy to providers:
address them by their own "name," rather than forcing providers to
"memorize" a bunch of payer-assigned proprietary IDs (whether for the
ISA or within the application transaction).

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
+1 (614) 487-0320