From: "Rachel Foerster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'WEDi/SNIP ID & Routing'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, 28 March, 2002 04:15 PM
Subject: What's the focus?

The issue that Williams touches on in the first paragraph below was
intended, I believe, to be addressed by the use of the Provider Taxonomy
Code such that a provider would have only one provider ID, but would use
the taxonomy code to specify a specialty, etc. that the payer would then
use in combination with the provider ID during its adjudication process.

Jan Root posted an excellent description of this original intent of the
Provider Taxonomy Code on another list, but unfortunately, I'm not able
to locate it quickly. If Jan is on this list, perhaps she could re-post
her description here as well.

It seems to me that a key goal is to determine how an identifier
(whether the provider's, payer's, clearinghouse's, or whatever)
appearing in the ISA Sender or Receiver ID field could be used to then
discover more complete information about that entity's EDI addressing
requirements...plus potentially other information about connectivity as
well.

Today the HIPAA IG's specify what coding systems are valid for use
within the ISA in HIPAA-Land:

01 Duns (Dun & Bradstreet)
14 Duns Plus Suffix
20 Health Industry Number (HIN)
27 Carrier Identification Number as assigned by Health Care Financing
Administration (HCFA)
28 Fiscal Intermediary Identification Number as assigned by Health Care
Financing Administration (HCFA)
29 Medicare Provider and Supplier Identification Number as assigned by
Health Care Financing Administration (HCFA)
30 U.S. Federal Tax Identification Number
33 National Association of Insurance Commissioners Company Code (NAIC)
ZZ Mutually Defined

(Just a side note to the discussion of the DUNS+4 topic: The +4 suffix
is not an official component of the DUNS assigned by D&B....it's
determined by the entity that the DUNS identifies. Thus, there is no
standardization to the +4 suffix. I would urge caution here is getting
too enamored of the DUNS+4.)

In the absence of the national identifiers, we are left to select from
one of these coding systems or to use the ZZ Mutually Defined. It's my
opinion that if the objective is to be able to use the identifier from
the ISA to discover more detailed EDI addressing information, then it's
irrelevant which coding system the ISA identifiers are based on. The
only requirement at the present time is that to be compliant with the
HIPAA specifications, one must choose one of the above.

Thus, I'm not sure that I understand the detailed discussion of various
identifiers and identification systems. Wouldn't it be more on point to
be examining how the ISA identifier would/could/should be used to link
to the EDI Addressing information?

Furthermore, when (notice that I'm the eternal optimist and didn't say
if) the national identifiers are finalized, then I would certainly
expect that the ZZ Mutually Defined option would go away....and even
perhaps the other choices in favor of the national identifiers. Thus, I
again reiterate that I think it's quite irrelevant to the goal of this
work group to get too wrapped around the axle about various
identification systems. Rather, shouldn't the focus be on the
"functional use" of the identifier in the ISA as the key to discovering
the detailed EDI addressing information?

Rachel Foerster
Principal
Rachel Foerster & Associates, Ltd.
Professionals in EDI & Electronic Commerce
39432 North Avenue
Beach Park, IL 60099
Phone: 847-872-8070
Fax: 847-872-6860