 Kulwinder> How many channels do you need?  I have done sampling of RF
 Kulwinder> at 900 MHz.  I sampled I and Q of the signal after it was
 Kulwinder> demodulated from the carrier and sent through a mixer to
 Kulwinder> produce separate I and Q channels.

 Kulwinder> Do you need two channels?  One for I and one for Q?

 Kulwinder> Also, since your carrier is 1 GHz and your IF 10 MHz there
 Kulwinder> is a mod/demod stage between your 1 GHz RF and your 10 MHz
 Kulwinder> IF.  It is not all done at a 'digital level'.  The
 Kulwinder> mod/demod of your IF is all digital.

 Kulwinder> Your answer to the I and Q question will determine the
 Kulwinder> type of ADC you need.  - Kal Atwal.
 >> Again ...our application is not the traditional analog ones as u
 >> think....we do digitize the whole band and do the mod/demod at the
 >> digital level....

 >> 1. Physical parameter...?? Say a wideband signal centred at
 >> 1Gc.....(10Mhz bandwidth...)...to be more specific let it be a
 >> wideband CDMA signal....  2. If I say 20Msps at 10 bits....

If your bandwidth is 10 MHz, then the min sampling rate you need is 20
Ms/s.  Since your carrier is at 1 GHz, the sample/hold and analog
input stages of the A/D have to have sufficient bandwidth for that,
but it doesn't mean you have to sample at rates anywhere near there.

If you can do this -- and with modern A/Ds I believe you can, since
they are aimed at this exact application -- then you can do direct RF
sampling, no analog mixing to a lower IF is needed.

"Undersampling" is the term that describes this process.  I remember
some nice apps notes on the subject from Harris, related to their
HSP50214 digital receiver ASIC.

        paul

----
http://www.rtlinux.org/~rtlinux/