On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Peter Hickman
<peterhickman...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> To be honest I always assume that the location is the US

As far as the ones I've seen on LinkedIn go, you're usually right, but
in a significant number of cases it turns out to be somewhere in
India.  Of course, that's still probably far from you.  Once in a
while, though, it turns out to be London, which I'd guess is much
closer to you.  (Unless maybe you meant the *other* ocean bordering
the USA.)

> Of course given the size of the US
> I would probably want to know at least the state they
> are in if I was American. A city would be preferable :)

Exactly.  And even within a city, a more precise location can make a
big difference.  I live about 20 miles west of Washington DC.  I'll
commute by Metro to the west corner (it's shaped like a square on a
point), maybe even the middle, but not the far point, nor transfer in
the middle to hit the north or south parts, unless it's an utterly
fantastic opportunity.  And parts I can't get to by Metro are right
out.

> What gets to me is the lack of industry sector, there are some areas I
> do not want to work in, they are some that I am very interested in.
> But as the recruiter has not said I assume the worse (another groupon
> clone) and skip the ad.

Huh.  I don't think I'd advise that tactic, but whatever floats your boat....

> Also I have no intention of giving my CV to a recruiter just so they
> can pester me with jobs I have no interest in (some recruiters go
> strait to trash, I have mail rules to deal with them). So I'm not
> going to send my CV in on spec.

I'll send it on *some* degree of spec.  They have to at least mention
what sounds at first like a reasonably appropriate job.

If their first contact to me is to ddress me as "Dear Actively" and
try to talk me into being a Sharepoint Administrator in Ohmygod
Nebraska, no, the email gets marked as spam, and I take anything else
they send me with more and more grains of salt.  (Sharepoint appears
nowhere on my resume or profiles, which all clearly state I'm looking
in or near Northern Virginia, or remotely, and Nebraska is about 1100
miles away.)

But if the emai addresses me by correct name, references specific
experience on my resume, and is for, say, a C++ job in Reston (about
10 miles away, and I've worked there before), okay, I'm not much
interested in C++ right now, but it was an honest try, that fits with
what I desires could fit on a resume.  That one, I'll give a resume,
except maybe if they say they only handle C++ jobs.

-Dave

--
Dave Aronson, Available Secret-Cleared Ruby/Rails Freelancer (VA/DC/Remote);
see www.DaveAronson.com, www.Codosaur.us, and www.Dare2XL.com for more info.