IMO the argument of the size of the Java community is wrong since there is no "Java style" for acronyms. Java recommendations <http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/documentation/codeconventions-135099.html#367> doesn't specify the case of acronyms. It just tell to avoid them if possible. If you look at the Java API, you will see that acronym notation is inconsistent :
- acl,  ldap, dos, ... are lowcase
- html, dom, ... are upcase
- xml, http, ... are some time upcase, sometimes lowcase

I'm a Java user, but I strongly prefer the ".net style". The full upcase notation make it easier to distinguish acronyms, but I just don't care if a word is an acronym or not. I think it is much more useful to easily distinct words.