On Thu, 2014-02-06 at 16:35 -0800, Brian Anderson wrote:
> Hey.
>
> One of my goals for 0.10 is to make the Rust installation and upgrade
> experience better. My personal ambitions are to make Rust installable
> with a single shell command, distribute binaries, not source, and to
> have both nightlies and point releases.
>
> Since we're already able to create highly-compatible snapshot compilers,
> it should be relatively easy to extend our snapshot procedure to produce
> complete binaries, installable via a cross-platform shell script. This
> would require the least amount of effort and maintenance because we
> don't need to use any specific package managers or add new bots, and a
> single installer can work on all Linuxes.
>
> We can also attempt to package Rust with various of the most common
> package managers: homebrew, macports, dpkg, rpm. There
> community-maintained packages for some of these already, so we don't
> necessarily need to redevelop from scratch if we just want to adopt one
> or all of them as official packages. We could also create a GUI
> installer for OS X, but I'm not sure how important that is.
>
> What shall we do?

As a user I'd just install from repo as I do will all programs I don't
actively contribute to. Sorry - scratch that - I have the rust installed
via package manager right now. As far as I know at least Arch, Gentoo
and Ubuntu have a culture of user packaging. Another example - Gnome as
far as I know does not provide any binary packages and only source.

Right now the largest problem I have installing is that the pre-compiled
rust crashes if the llvm is installed on Gentoo (adding to György point
probably) so to install Rust I need to uninstall llvm, install rust and
then install llvm (I'm using Gentoo so installing from package ==
compiling). Since bootstrapping is needed anyway it'd be nice if it work
with any LLVM installed (simple tarball should work).

Best regards

PS. I'd be for having the build system NOT downloading any binary and
instead relaying on having rustc in path. Then there can be a prebuilt
binary for bootstrapping. It makes a life a bit harder for 'normal users
who built rust' (is there anyone in this category?) but easier for
packages (both AUR and Portage separates downloading and building which
has several benefits) and administrators (adding to Lee's point).