On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 1:35 AM, Brian Anderson <bander...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Hey.
>
> One of my goals for 0.10 is to make the Rust installation and upgrade
> experience better. My personal ambitions are to make Rust installable with a
> single shell command, distribute binaries, not source, and to have both
> nightlies and point releases.
>
> Since we're already able to create highly-compatible snapshot compilers, it
> should be relatively easy to extend our snapshot procedure to produce
> complete binaries, installable via a cross-platform shell script. This would
> require the least amount of effort and maintenance because we don't need to
> use any specific package managers or add new bots, and a single installer
> can work on all Linuxes.
>
> We can also attempt to package Rust with various of the most common package
> managers: homebrew, macports, dpkg, rpm. There community-maintained packages
> for some of these already, so we don't necessarily need to redevelop from
> scratch if we just want to adopt one or all of them as official packages. We
> could also create a GUI installer for OS X, but I'm not sure how important
> that is.
>
> What shall we do?

Different demographic perhaps but as a data point: with node.js on OS
X, the .pkg and homebrew cover 99.9% of the installed user base,
macports isn't even on the radar.

Linux: I'd recommend shipping binaries as tarballs with minimal
dependencies.  As another data point: node.js release binaries are
compiled on RHEL 5 for maximum portability.  Old glibc, old kernel
headers, old everything - if it runs there, it runs everywhere that's
newer.  Seems to work well, very few bug reports.

Package managers: perfect solution for users, somewhat unwieldy from a
releng perspective.  My company provides packages for multiple
releases of several RHEL and Debian derivatives and that matrix
becomes overwhelming fast.