I guess Santa Claus got me my trains as a Christmas gift in December 
1954 when I was just about 1 year old. Later I found out (when I was 
20 - I had protective parents) that Santa was really my dad who 
bought the trains for me (him) so I could play with them as I got 
older.
He was real smart (as I get older he seems to get smarter every year) 
about keeping them out of my hands until I could really handle them 
with care (When I was 40). 
I could remember begging my mother every year to have him set up the 
trains just as soon as he got the Christmas tree into the house.
I still have that wonderful 303 Atlantic set, baggage car with 
station, cable car, box car, pipe car and the cabbose. Still have the 
original set box it came in. In those days he worked two jobs... his 
second job was at the electronics department at Gertz in Flushing, 
New York where he bought that set for about $35.00.   
That original set has been added to over the years and still works 
perfectly like the first day we opened the box.
Joe DeCarlo

 















--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "beechcricker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>" 
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> For those of you old enough (smile) to have purchased original AF 
> equipment when it was new, at what types of stores did you shop?
> 
> My Dad is surprisingly foggy on this but it appears that as a youth 
> in Pittsburgh in the early 1950s, he bought most of his at an 
> electrical supply store.
> 
> Also, I understand the now defunct Hudson's department store in 
> Downtown Detroit would have a huge AF layout set up at the 
holidays.  
> I guess this made many a youngster drool!
> 
> Jeff


S-Trains list sponsor: http://www.americanflyertrains.com
All the Flyer you desire...books and accessories too!

To UNSUBSCRIBE from this list send a note to [EMAIL PROTECTED] 

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 


Reply via email to