I bought 2 310 Pacific sets in 1946.  One at a furniture store and the
other at an auto supply store, both at Christmas time.  In between
Christmas seasons the only way I knew to buy was to order from ACG in
New Haven, which I did for a 633 B&O boxcar, extra trucks, and some
switches.  I don't think there was any store that stocked new electric
trains "off season" in my home town of Elmira NY.

The next Flyer stuff I had "new" (store-bought) was (probably) a demo
375 & passenger cars from a hardware store in Shawnee Okla. quite a few
years later, after I was married and had a family started.  Also into
the sixties you could find Flyer sets steeply discounted in discount
stores, of which I bought a couple.  Then the fun was finding it
advertised in want ads near Christmas or at garage sales for about the
next 20 years.

I no longer collect Flyer in general.  Prices of anything I don't have
by now have outstripped my retirement income.  I have "too many" AM and
SHS engines and cars now and a modestly large (8'x25') layout. 

"beechcricker " wrote:
> 
> For those of you old enough (smile) to have purchased original AF
> equipment when it was new, at what types of stores did you shop?
> 
> My Dad is surprisingly foggy on this but it appears that as a youth
> in Pittsburgh in the early 1950s, he bought most of his at an
> electrical supply store.
> 
> Also, I understand the now defunct Hudson's department store in
> Downtown Detroit would have a huge AF layout set up at the holidays.
> I guess this made many a youngster drool!
> 
> Jeff
> 
> S-Trains list sponsor: http://www.americanflyertrains.com
> All the Flyer you desire...books and accessories too!
> 
> To UNSUBSCRIBE from this list send a note to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

-- 
Chuck Smith of the NASG, Rochester Area S Gaugers (RASG) 
and the S Gauge Chemung Valley Lines. http://home.eznet.net/~cesmith

"It is often wiser to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to speak up and remove all doubt." Mark Twain

S-Trains list sponsor: http://www.americanflyertrains.com
All the Flyer you desire...books and accessories too!

To UNSUBSCRIBE from this list send a note to [EMAIL PROTECTED] 

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 


Reply via email to