Martin Albrecht wrote:
> On Thursday 19 October 2006 14:28, Pere Urbón Bayes wrote:
>
>> Any way im starting doing a debian package.
>>

> Hi there,
>
> just my five cents:
>  * There was a thread on debian-science on this, see:
>
>      http://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2006/10/msg00020.html
>
>   IIRC there was a discussion to create a sage-pkg project on alioth.
>
>  * If I may express a wish: I would really like to see a modular Debian
>    package of SAGE, i.e., GAP, Singular, Python, etc. are packages of their

A warning:

1. The gap debian package is delayed by 6 months or so and splits things
up in a
way that many SAGE wrappers for GAP functions will probably break. For
example,
debian distributes no GAP packages, not even GPL'd ones. I think the debian
version is at 4.4.4 but we have 4.4.8:
http://packages.debian.org/stable/math/gap

2. Likewise for maxima, which is still at 5.9.1 (we have 5.10 I think).
http://packages.debian.org/stable/math/maxima

A agree with  William that a good starting point is to make a Debian
SAGE package that installs
everything into /opt.

I think Martin is not suggesting to use the official Debian packages but
to provide our own repository,
which means we would (eventually) maintain our own deb versions of GAP,
Maxima, etc. This
is a great long term goal, IMHO.

Pere - you seem willing to lead the effort - what do you say?