> I think Martin is not suggesting to use the official Debian packages but
> to provide our own repository,
> which means we would (eventually) maintain our own deb versions of GAP,
> Maxima, etc. This
> is a great long term goal, IMHO.

IMHO it's quite dangerous to provide and maintain our own packages of
all components (GAP, Maxima, etc) because

- it requires much work that, if lacking, may cause SAGE package to
become obsolete
- if, on the contrary, all efforts are concentrated on SAGE, the
traditional packages of GAP, Maxima, etc, may become obsolete, and it's
not a good idea to grow by cutting our own roots.
- if SAGE team works on one component but then the team of that
component comes out with a major release not including SAGE patches, we
can occur in a fork, and is it's IMHO very bad.
- by having more than one version of the same component, for example
one stand-alone and one included in SAGE, we risk to betray the spirit
of the free software, i.e. to use the available pieces of software.
Doesn't it recall the "Hell of DLL's" in Windows world?? SAGE has been
up to now the best "glue" for the scientific software...IMHO it would
be really nice to glue also all existing debian packages.

My hope would be to collaborate with the maintainers of the existing
packages in order to update them with SAGE requirements in mind.

Best regards.

Tiziano