Unlikely that we would add a package to the Sage distribution that builds a
Rust library from source.

Not so long ago we added support for installing Python packages from
platform-independent wheels. We did this to sidestep the concern of
shipping more and more of Javascript (Node.js) infrastructure that is
needed for building JupyterLab components.

Likewise, we will soon add support for installing Python packages from
platform-dependent wheels. This is needed for updating some Jupyter
components that have started to use Rust (https://github.com/crate-py/rpds,
a dependency of jsonschema).

(In the Sage distribution, they won't be "pip" packages -- which are an
underdeveloped mechanism in the build system of the Sage distribution --
but rather a variant of the existing "wheel" packages.)

As the upstream developer, you would publish binary wheels to PyPI, likely
in the same way as is done in
https://github.com/crate-py/rpds/blob/main/.github/workflows/CI.yml