On Sat, 2024-06-01 at 10:02 -0700, Matthias Koeppe wrote:
> Unlikely that we would add a package to the Sage distribution that builds a
> Rust library from source.
>
> Not so long ago we added support for installing Python packages from
> platform-independent wheels. We did this to sidestep the concern of
> shipping more and more of Javascript (Node.js) infrastructure that is
> needed for building JupyterLab components.
>
> Likewise, we will soon add support for installing Python packages from
> platform-dependent wheels. This is needed for updating some Jupyter
> components that have started to use Rust (https://github.com/crate-py/rpds,
> a dependency of jsonschema).

The jsonschema package was being replaced by fastjsonschema in its
consumers the last time we ran in to this problem.

Rust is not nearly as portable as C, and has an unstable ABI that makes
shipping compatible versions of packages from multiple sources nearly
impossible. Will Sage's wheel packages be compatible with the wheels
built by the Gentoo package manager? Even for a single source, more
labor is involved -- instead of rebuilding each package once when it
changes, you wind up rebuilding all of its consumers, and then all of
their consumers, and... so on recursively.

We're already drowning in this regard and incorporating rust in any way
will make it a lot worse.