On Apr 15, 2008, at 04:18 , mabshoff wrote:

> Hello folks
>
> here we go with 3.0.alpha5. So, that happened to 3.0.alpha4? It was
> never announced in public since it was a snapshot I initially
> considered
> potentially unstable, but that didn't happen. We have closed a total
> of *221* tickets so far. This alpha should build and doctest without
> any significant problems [famous last words]. All the mysterious
> segfaults at exit should be fixed. Besides numerous fixes to padics
> and
> the notebook there were also a boat load of other fixes. The  most
> visible change to users should be the gcc 4.3 support out of the box.
> This release has been build tested on x86-64 Arch Linux. The only
> thing
> needed is to use the system's Fortran compiler by setting
> SAGE_FORTRAN
> and SAGE_FORTRAN_LIB - see the README.txt. The list of blockers has
> gotten much shorter and we should start winding things down for the
> final 3.0 release. On the list of goals we still need 64 bit OSX
> support
> which is doable and the merge of the benchmarking code. Stay tuned
> for the next alpha coming soon ;)
>
> Sources and binaries are in the usual place:
>
> http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/mabshoff/release-cycles-3.0/sage-3.0.alpha5.tar

Mac OS X:

10.5.2 (Dual Quad Xeon, "-j6"):
     real    76m38.179s
     user    72m3.883s
     sys     21m10.987s
     SAGE build/upgrade complete!

     All tests passed!
     Total time for all tests: 3407.2 seconds

10.4.11 (Core 2 Duo, "-j2"):
     real    122m26.254s
     user    88m26.973s
     sys     26m58.830s
     SAGE build/upgrade complete!

     All tests passed!
     Total time for all tests: 4707.3 seconds

Nice!

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large