There are a number of things I am sort of working on but I lack the
time to do them in the near future.

1) Better triangulations for many-vertex faces.  You either have to
work around the current behavior of indexed_face_set or change it.  I
have been trying to do the former in polyhedra.py, since then it only
impacts things in that module, but my current efforts are kind of
sad.  That's why .render_solid() is commented out in groebner_fan
right now.  My current effort tries to get a triangulation from random
lifting but I must be doing something stupid since it fails sometimes
on pretty small faces.

1b) A 3D polygon command.  This could easily be built off of the
polyhedra code if the triangulation there was fixed.

2) Animations.  I'm not sure how to really fix this.  For small,
simple animations its OK to use convert and get an animated gif, but
that starts getting awkward quickly.  I have been playing with using
Blender to get nice movies of animations (e.g. compressed jpeg avi).
It would be very cool to have a Blender spkg, although it would be
huge.  But having an experimental one would be a big step forward;
maybe we could figure out how to carve off the pieces we needed.

3) Color functions for 3D plots.  I should have put this first since I
miss it in both teaching and research and it probably isn't too hard
to do.  Basic examples of what mathematica can do in this regard are
towards the end of:
http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/DensityAndContourPlots.html
...not that its a paragon of user friendliness, but just to clarify
what I mean.

4) Getting image maps working better with tachyon.  Last I knew these
were sort of broken and used a somewhat unusual file format (ppm?).
It would be nice to have those working better.

Hmmm...I know I have others but those are what I think of first.

Cheers,
Marshall Hampton