On Aug 28, 8:17 am, mhampton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Aug 28, 8:45 am, "William Stein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Another way to make animation for a web browser would be
> > to use javascript, though the timing might look jerky.  Another
> > possibility is flash.
>
> I am very ignorant about flash and would like to learn more.  Is there
> a fully open-source option with flash?  What are good places/texts to
> learn about that?

Do you care about open source for the player, the development tools,
or both?  Probably your first stop should be http://osflash.org/
("Open Source Flash").

The Adobe flash player itself is not open source; there are open-
source flash players (gnash and swfdec), but I don't know how well
they work.  They might be more usable if you're targeting them
specifically -- that is, if you're writing the animation program, you
can just work around any bugs in the open-source flash players.

It is possible to develop for flash using only open-source tools;
keywords to look for include haxe, mtasc, and swfmill.

(This is what I remember from looking into open-source Flash
development around a year ago, so this is certainly not a complete
current list.)

Carl