On Feb 17, 2009, at 2:30 AM, Harald Schilly wrote:

> On Feb 17, 3:07 am, Sirius <deuter...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> To be sincere, I really don't care much, nor know much, about the
>> license, I just want to have credit ...
>
> Yes, I don't care much either but here my two cents: My personal
> "definition" of logo is a unique graphic to represent the project.
> Unique means, no other project/entity uses it.
> On the other hand, the whole intention behind releasing something
> under a license (no matter which one) is, to give others some usage
> rights without asking and without questioning for what it is used.
> Therefore, releasing the sage logo in a CC license means, that some
> other entity can use it. [This has nothing to do with copyright, since
> your work is always copyrighted!]

These are more trademark than copyright questions. If someone wanted
to create brand confusion they could free-hand the dodecahedron on
the left, use a (marginally) different font for the lettering, and it
would not violate copyright at all (as long as they only used the
ideas from the original logo, not any actual copying).

> I know, that's probably controversial and discussing this only
> consumes time that's better used for something else. My point of view
> is to keep the copyright (as it is automatically and always) and
> explicitly dedicate such works to the sage project. period. Just like
> donated money can't be used for buying beer.

I think this just makes things messier--what if I want to make a
shirt that has the Sage logo on it? Do I have to get permission from
the Sage project? Do I have to get permission to put the logo on my
site with a link to Sage? Can I change the colors to better fit with
my site's theme? What if I think it can be improved by adding texture
to the background, or (as started this email) tweaking the lettering?
Are these derivative works even allowed? If so, are they also
explicitly dedicated to the Sage project? If I produce, say, a
project that allows one to use Sage on an iPhone (or, even, uses Sage
as a backend for my iPhone calculus application) can I incorporate
part or all of the logo into my application's logo?

A concrete license like the CC makes things so much cleaner, and I
think CC by-sa is an excellent fit.

- Robert