The controversy between Debian and Mozilla might be germane to this
discussion.  If I understand it right, the name Firefox and the logos
are trademarked by Mozilla.  Debian's strict interpretation of open
licenses mean they ship their patched version of Firefox as
IceWeasel.  Or maybe Mozilla won't let them ship the (heavily) patched
version and call it Firefox.  Or both.  Either way, it seems to be a
mess, and attributable to the decision to trademark and "brand."  I
haven't been following this very closely, but here's a couple of (old)
links.  Maybe somebody else knows more about where this is right now.

Mark Shuttleworth's opinion about Ubuntu's relationship to both sides
http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/79

and here's a link to a view from Mozilla that might be a reasonable
introduction to the conflict, despite being from one side
http://cbeard.typepad.com/mozilla/2006/10/mozilla_tradema.html